Thursday, July 16, 2009

Trail Mix Cookie



Little Sis had her baby. I knew I would be in the hospital for a long time. I added a few changes to a classic recipe so as to take the edge off my hunger. They turned out wonderful!

Beat on high for 2 minutes (do NOT skip this):

1 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1, 1/2 cup brown sugar

Beat in one at a time:

2 eggs
2, 1/2 t vanilla

Add and mix until barely encorporated:

1, 3/4 cup flour
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon

Add and mix until barely encorporated:

3 1/2 cups oats
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup coconut

make mounds the size of about 1, 1/2 Tbl. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for 10 minutes. The place them on your cold counter top for another 10 minutes.

Common Cookie Blunders

-Using butter that is room temperature. You want to use cold butter. It takes more work to blend in the sugar. But it is well worth it!

-Over cooking! The butter gets too hot and thinned that it can't support the flour. Another reason to use cold butter. I cooked this first batch for only 8 minutes. The second batch I left for 8 minutes, 45 seconds so you can see what a huge difference this makes!

1 comment:

AllMyKs said...

These look so yummy Ruby. Thanks for the great butter tips at the end. I knew there was a science to it all!