Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oven French Toast Sticks - Sheia

In keeping with the breakfast theme I had to post another of Sheia's delicious recipes that our family tried tonight!

8-9 pieces Texas Toast
1/4 cup melted margarine
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup orange juice (drinking strength)

Using pizza cutter, cut each slice of bread into thirds to make "sticks." In bowl, mix margarine, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and orange juice. Dip breadsticks into mix. Place on greased cookie sheet. Pour any remaining dip over the French toast. Bake 25 minutes at 350. Turn sticks once half way through the baking time.

We enjoyed these dipped in Nauvoo Syrup - also a recipe I got from Sheia (see below.)


NAUVOO SYRUP/BUTTERMILK SYRUP

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cube margarine
1 tsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together (except vanilla) in a large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla

*Can use 2 Tbsp. powdered buttermilk + 1/2 cup water. Since I didn't have either of these I used 1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice.

2 comments:

AllMyKs said...

I had never heard of the evaporated milk + lemon juice substitution. I'll have to try it!

Kolob Enrichment said...

oh cool, this is what you were telling me about. glad you posted it.